- Positive behavioral interventions and supports (PBIS) is one approach LA Promise Charter High School #1 uses to encourage good behavior by first recognizing and rewarding what the student is doing right. Our behavioral interventions and supports are put in place to help students begin to notice their behavior and respond differently, using emotional intelligence.
- Our aim is to prevent, not punish, while supporting our students both academically and behaviorally. We use PBIS three tier approach and customize how we engage, redirect, and respond to our students. The first step is to know their names, call them by name, and then build a relationship with each child on campus. We couple our approach with Restorative Justice (RJ). Restorative justice is an alternate method of disciplining students that seeks to balance the process between being too permissive and being too punitive. RJ is also used to counter the Zero Tolerance policy. The goal of restorative justice is to work with students (the victims and the accused) to come to a solution rather than simply handing down punishment at school by suspending or expelling students. At LAPCHS, we implement restorative practices such as talking piece, community circles, one-on-one and small group circles.
- Our PBIS team consists of: parents, teachers, students, school paraprofessionals, and administrators
- LA Promise Charter High School #1 uses Kickboard to recognize students who exhibit SABER characteristics and who handle conflict and emotional upsets in positive ways. Kickboard awards dollars, which we call “Saber Bucks”! Students use their Saber Bucks on the online store to purchase school swag, lunch with Principal or teacher, or buy in extra school events and enrichment trips both on and off campus. For instance, on Halloween students used Saber Bucks to purchase chili cheese nachos and enter the student created haunted house. This fall students will be able to use Saber Bucks for morning bonfires with stemming hot chocolate, while enjoying a delicious self made smore’s!
- We also recognize our teachers, staff, and paraprofessionals during our “Village Circle” SABER of the WEEK AWARD